Sunday, November 14, 2010

Andersonville by Erin Browne


Andersonville was written specifically for a lighting designer to play with but I would love a chance to see it with other creative design elements filling in the stark and violent world. 
Would love it if someone used this text to present design schemes in a class or something along those lines. Student designers, send me a line. 

As always - if you want to use it please send me an email erinkellyb@hotmail.com

Andersonville by Erin Browne 


CHARACTERS: all women about 25-30
Beatrice
Gin
O
T


Costume note - Gin, O, and T should be dressed alike to delineate that they are part of a group of similar people. Beatrice should be dressed differently.

Lighting note – There should be 3 light ques
  1. Reality – harsh, white, angular
  2. Beatrice and Gin – blue, dreamy, underwater, underground
  3. O and T – yellowish or rose, softened but menacing









The stage is blank, space only delineated by light. There is a door. Gin stands on stage staring into space, deep in thought. The door bursts open. O and T carry in Beatrice who is bound at her ankles and slaps her feet at the ground in an attempt to gain balance or control. She is also bound at the wrists with her hands in front of her, like in prayer. This makes her easier to carry and shows that O and T don't think she's enough of a threat to bind her arms behind her back.
O and T drop Beatrice on her feet. Beatrice whimpers and darts her eyes around panicked. She stares at Gin who stares back.

O
Kneel.

BEATRICE
No, no, please. Please. No.


O
Kneel.

Beatrice reaches out her bound arms towards Gin.

BEATRICE
Please, tell me, please.

O pushes B down on her knees.

O
to Gin
This is the one.

GIN
Who is she?

O
Just do it.

Gin takes a gun out that has been tucked in the back waistband of her pants under her shirt. Gin brings the gun to Beatrice's head. Beatrice brings her hands in front of her in prayer.

BEATRICE
Our father who art in heaven, hallow be thy-

GIN
Shut the fuck up.

Lights change to Gin and Beatrice light. The tension of the scene is partially lifted. O and T don't hear Gin and Beatrice speak.

GIN
Who are you?

BEATRICE
A historian, a teacher.


GIN
Where are you from?

BEATRICE
I live on the south side of town but I grew up far from here. Where there are maple trees. I was driving home from my office and stopped to help a young woman who I thought was a student change her tire. Her. (indicates T) Then these women brought me here.

GIN
I've never done this before.

BEATRICE
You don't have to.

GIN
I do.

Lights change back to Reality light. The tension of sped up breathe and guns has returned.

BEATRICE
Hallow be they, hallow be thy, be thy -

GIN
Shut the fuck up.

O
Fucking do it. (to Gin) If you don't shut your fucking mouth, I'll tape it. (to Beatrice)

Beatrice whimpers and bends her head onto her hands. Lights change to O and T light. Beatrice and Gin don't hear.

O
She's losing her nerve. Soft fuck. I hope I don't have to deal with this shit myself. I'm so sick of cleaning up other people's shit.

T
I never watch. I turn off my eyes. I still can't watch. It's not that I care about them, I just don't like the blood.

O
Other people's shit.

Lights return to Reality light.

BEATRICE
Why are you doing this? Why?

GIN
Shut up.

O
Fucking do it.

BEATRICE
I have a family.

GIN
Shut the fuck up.

O
Enough.

BEATRICE
I don't even know you.

Gun shot. Light change to Beatrice and Gin light.

BEATRICE
With this bullet, I thee wed.

GIN
You were the first but not the last.

BEATRICE
You will go to bed with me every night.

GIN
I always remembered you.

Beatrice stands gracefully despite being bound. She stares directly into Gin's eyes. Gin takes the binding from her wrists.




BEATRICE
I will be with you. Every good moment. Every selfish moment of joy. I will be there, staring you in the face, my bones, my eyes, the walking dead. May I have this dance?

Gin steps to Beatrice and the binds fall from her feet. They dance together in a formal and old-fashioned waltz.

GIN
I had, at this moment, I had no other choice. With them here.

BEATRICE
Like the faces of Andersonville.

GIN
I don't even know what it means but I hear it echo in my head, afraid to look it up, not knowing where to begin.

BEATRICE
Torture me.

GIN
I didn't torture you. I don't even know you. You mean nothing to me.

BEATRICE
But from this point on, I will be in everything.

GIN
I don't even know you.

BEATRICE
Who you think I am.

GIN
And when I go the same way.

BEATRICE
When she turns on you (indicating O)

GIN
How could I know?

BEATRICE
I will be with you, dancing a welcome to the mass grave we have disappeared into for a near eternity.

GIN
Until they dig up our mangled bones.

BEATRICE
Mingled bones.

GIN
Others too.

BEATRICE
To build a parking structure. The dignity.

GIN
Our families angry, that me-

BEATRICE
And you.

GIN
Our bones have been together for decades.

BEATRICE
They won't realize that long ago, at this moment, we were welded together for eternity.

GIN
Please, leave me alone.

Gin breaks away from the dance.

GIN
I'm begging you.

BEATRICE
I begged.

GIN
Leave me alone.

BEATRICE
No, no, please, you'll remember me saying.

GIN
I'm sorry.


BEATRICE
But it will never end.

GIN
Go rest with the others. My others.

BEATRICE
I speak for us all.

GIN
You don't exist.

BEATRICE
You know I do.

GIN
Help. (To O and T)

BEATRICE
I did exist. Until you.

GIN
Everyone I kill after you has your face.

BEATRICE
You don't even know me.

Beatrice replaces the binding to her ankles and hands. Gin kneels to pray. 

GIN
I try to pray you away. At church with my family. I have a family.

BEATRICE
I have a family, I said.

Beatrice kneels next to Gin.

GIN
I will pray you away.
                         
BEATRICE
But every prayer is, be thy, be thy


GIN
Name.

BEATRICE
Shut the fuck up, you said.

Gin stands and holds gun to Beatrice's head.

GIN
But I mean, I’m sorry.

                                                            BEATRICE
Shut the fuck up.

                                                            GIN
I don't even know you.
             
BEATRICE
You are not forgiven. I will forgive you but you'll never forgive yourself.

GIN
With this bullet, I thee wed.

Gunshot. Lights to Reality light. Beatrice pitches forward to the ground. Gin lowers the gun.

O
Clean this up.

O turns to leave.

T
I'll get the tools.

T leaves, through the door that O is holding open. O turns back.

O
Took you fucking long enough.

GIN
Fuck you.



O
Welcome to the club.

O leaves. Gin puts the gun back, in her waistband and kneels next to the body. She gently picks up and cradles Beatrice's head in her lap, looking into her face.

GIN
whispers
I'm sorry.

T starts to enter and Gin gently places the head back on the floor. As T drags in a bag of tools, Gin starts to unbind the hands.

T
It's easier if you don't.

GIN
Oh.

T
Welcome to the club.


Blackout



No comments:

Post a Comment