Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pop Art by Joanne Hudson

Here is another play by the amazing Joanne Hudson. I was lucky enough to see Pop Art at Columbia and HERE

Worked well in both places with both casts, which proves it's a versatile play that fits in varied environments with varied audiences. 

For more on Joanne check out OUTSOURCING.   

As always - if you use Pop Art, let us know at erinkellyb@hotmail.com and joannehudson1@mac.com


POP ART - based on the art of Andy Warhol and the evolution of a trend. 
2 men 2 women -run time approx. 10 mins.  

Pop Art has been performed at Columbia University, directed by Rachel Chavkin, Abingdon Stage and HERE Art Center, directed by Meghan Finn. Feel free to update pop culture references, or leave as is. 



POP ART 
by 
Joanne Hudson 
(Inspired by the art of Andy Warhol and the evolution of a trend) 

copyright 2006 


TIME: The present 
SETTING: A livingroom 

CHARACTERS: 
WOMAN - A control freak 
MAN - A passivist 
SHE - A follower 
HE - A consumer


POP ART, BY JOANNE HUDSON 
(A MAN and A WOMAN in a living room.) 

MAN 
I have a gun. 

WOMAN 
I have some frozen pizza’s in the fridge. They’re Tofutti, 
non dairy, vegan, whatever. 

MAN 
Fine. I have a gun. 

WOMAN 
I heard you the first time. Am I supposed to be surprised by 
that? 

MAN 
No. Don’t you want to know where I got it? 

WOMAN 
Down the street? 

MAN 
Yeah. They’re giving them away down the street. 

WOMAN 
Yeah, I saw them when I came out of the grocery store. They 
come with a six-pack of Coke? 

MAN 
Yeah. 

WOMAN 
So you actually bought a six-pack of Coke? 

MAN 
Just for the free gun. 

WOMAN 
What are you going to do with the Coke? 

MAN 
I’ll throw it out, okay? 

WOMAN 
Good. 

MAN 
What would you do if I drank it?

WOMAN 
I don’t know, we’d have to seriously discuss our 
relationship. 

MAN 
Would we? 

WOMAN 
YES!. 

(THEY sit in silence for a moment. 
After some thought, MAN gets up.) 

WOMAN 
What are you doing? 

MAN 
Nothing. 

(HE pulls a brown paper bag from 
underneath something - his jacket on a 
chair?) 

WOMAN 
What is that? 

MAN 
Our relationship is inside this bag. 

WOMAN 
Is it? 

MAN 
YES! 

WOMAN 
So, let me see it. 

MAN 
How much do you love me? 

WOMAN 
What sort of question is that? 

MAN 
Do you love me enough to let me keep this? 

WOMAN 
We’re having guests for dinner. Do we have to do this now? 

MAN 
If not now, then when? 

WOMAN 
It’s not open for discussion! 

MAN 
Want to see my new gun? 

WOMAN 
I’ve seen a gun before. 

MAN 
Not mine. 

WOMAN 
What do you need one for anyway? 

MAN 
Everybody’s got one, even you. 

WOMAN 
So? 

MAN 
I should have one too. 

WOMAN 
Everyone is afraid to use theirs because everybody’s got one, 
it renders them useless. Guns are impotent masses of metal. 
People use them for paperweights. Why do you think they give 
them away free? 

MAN 
I should have one if everyone has one. 

WOMAN 
Why? 

MAN 
Just...just because, that’s why. 

WOMAN 
Fine. What do I care? Be a keeper of paperweights. Now give 
me that six-pack of Coke. I’m throwing it out before the 
guests arrive. 

(A doorbell rings.) 

MAN 
They’re here. 

(HE hides the paper bag behind his 
back.) 

WOMAN 
Let me have the Coke. I don’t want them to see it. 

MAN 
I’m keeping the Coke. 

WOMAN 
You’re what?! 

(MAN flings open the door and reveals 
SHE and HE in the doorway. HE holds a 
brown paper sack and smiles. SHE is 
frowning. THEY enter.) 

MAN 
Come in! We’ve been expecting you. Let me take your coats. 

HE 
Here. This is for the party. 

(HE hands MAN the paper sack.) 

SHE 
It’s a six-pack of Coke. I’m sorry. I told him not to bring 
it, that you’d be offended. 

WOMAN 
Oh my! 

SHE 
Honey, I told you not to bring it. It’s disgusting having one 
of those in the house. 

WOMAN 
We’ve already got one. I was just going to dispose of it. 

MAN 
I told you, I’m keeping the Coke. And this one we’re opening 
right now! 

SHE 
It’s an epidemic. All the men want six-packs of Coke now. 

WOMAN 
They’re giving free guns away with it. 

SHE 
I know. We’ve got a whole box of them at home. Just piling up 
in the corner. It’s not like you can even recycle them. He’s 
a Coke addict. He can’t get enough of it. What’re you gonna 
do? 

WOMAN 
Let’s sit down and eat. I got Tofutti pizzas! 

SHE 
Oh, how nice! 

(THE WOMEN go to prepare the pizza. THE 
MEN break open the Coke and take large 
swigs of it.) 

MAN 
I told her, she’s not going to tell me what to do anymore. 

HE 
She actually told me she’d leave me if I brought the Coke 
into the house. 

MAN 
Her too! Can you believe it? “If you do, we’ll have to 
seriously discuss our relationship.” 

HE 
Is that what she said? 

MAN 
Yep. I told her. I’m keeping the Coke. I’ll eat Tofutti 
cheese, but I am keeping the Coca-Cola. 

HE 
Good for you. 

(THEY take big swigs of Coke and laugh, 
as the women return with pizza.) 

WOMAN 
Disgusting display. 

SHE 
It sure is. But, what’re ya gonna do? Let’s eat. 

(WOMAN pulls out a gun and aims it at 
MAN.) 

WOMAN 
Not so fast. One more sip of that Coke and I blow your head 
off. 

(HE pulls out a gun and aims it at 
WOMAN.) 

HE 
Leave the guy alone, will ya? Let him have his Coke. 

(SHE pulls out a gun and aims it at 
HE.) 

SHE 
Put the Coke down. 

(MAN pulls out a gun and aims it at 
SHE. THEY all move slowly in a circle 
aiming guns at one another.) 

WOMAN 
I will not have Coca-Cola in my house! 

MAN 
It’s my house too! 

WOMAN 
It’s a deal breaker, you know this! 

MAN 
I never agreed to never having a six-pack of Coke. 

WOMAN 
It was implied! 

MAN 
Implied!? 

WOMAN 
Yes, you knew how I felt about Cokes when you married me! How 
could you? How could you do this now?! 

MAN 
Coke is the egalitarian soft-drink. Everybody drinks 
Coke...World Leaders, movie stars, poor people! 

WOMAN 
Not us! 

HE 
Mormons don’t. 

MAN 
Mormons don’t drink Coke? 

HE 
No. 

MAN 
Okay, everybody but Mormons. 

WOMAN 
Everybody but Mormons and US! 

MAN 
Do you really want to be associated with Mormons? 

WOMAN 
Why not?! What’s wrong with Mormons? 

MAN 
They...They go door to door! 

WOMAN 
So?! 

HE 
People, people, let’s not get political! 

SHE 
No, no let’s not get political. 

MAN 
You’re right, we shouldn’t get political. 

WOMAN 
That goes without saying. 

MAN 
Fine. No Cokes in the house. 

SHE 
I won’t have it either. 

HE 
Whatever you want honey-bunny. 

WOMAN 
Pour it out! 

SHE 
Yeah! Pour it out! 

(THE MEN circle around back to the Coke 
and pick it up, still holding the guns 
on the women. THE MEN hand the six- 
packs of Coke to the WOMEN who are 
still holding guns on the men. Each 
woman takes a six-pack of coke from the 
men (who are still holding guns on 
them) and backs out of the room. THEY 
exit. THE MEN put their guns down and 
begin to eat pizza.) 

MAN 
She always gets her way. 

HE 
She too. 

MAN 
Are we even fit to be called men? 

HE 
Sure we are. It’s just, we’re married men. 

MAN 
At least she still let’s me eat tuna. 

HE 
You’re kidding, tuna? She would kill me if I ate tuna! 

(THE WOMEN return.) 

WOMAN 
Hey, there’s a great new internet parlor game we can play 
after dinner if you guys want! 

HE 
Yeah, okay. 

SHE 
What is it? 

WOMAN 
Oh, it’s great. It’s a role playing game. You play it with 
strangers and you each take on the personality of a celebrity 
serial killer and stalk people on Friendster. The winner is 
the person who gets the most complaints sent to the site 
administrator! 

SHE 
Sounds great! 

HE 
I’m in. 

MAN 
Hey, did you all catch Celebrity Date Rape last night? 

SHE 
It was a rerun. 

HE 
Yeah, but a good one. 

SHE 
Have you seen Nebish’s new blog? 

HE 
He discusses the partisan-ism of partisan-ism. 

SHE 
The partisan-ism of partisanship! 

HE 
The partisanship of partisanship! 

SHE 
That’s it! 

WOMAN 
Oh, we’re not partisan. 

SHE 
Oops! Let’s not get into religion. That wouldn’t be polite. 

WOMAN 
Of course not! 

MAN 
I’ve got a gun. 

(LIGHTS dim. CURTAIN.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment