Saturday, January 22, 2011

Making Music Together by Erin Browne

This play was written for a night of short plays that had a musical theme - and while it wasn't used in that evening it was preformed brilliantly at the Flux Theater Ensemble Retreat this year.

The actors took the first set of lyrics I'd ever written (so don't be too hard on them) and ran with it - making them rock with any instruments that could be found. Tiffany Clementi did a standout job as Annie belting out the song to a lamp turned microphone and Matt Archambault directed a hilarious cast with limited resources.

Hopefully this little play captures the crazy dynamic of young artists who often work/play/romance together all at the same time. A little like the theater world, no? But also bands, dance, poets, even studio artists from what I've heard.

Enjoy!






Making Music Together
By Erin Browne


Characters:
Jacob
Annie
Anthony
Ray






Jacob, Anthony, and Ray are practicing a song. Annie enters like a whirlwind.


Annie
Sorry I’m running late.

Jacob
Not a problem. We were just throwing some stuff around.

Annie
Sorry. Hi Jacob, Anthony, Ray.

Ray
Hi Annie.

Anthony
Hi Annie.

Annie setting stuff down and setting up her mic, ect.

Annie
Okay, that’s better. Where should we start?

Jacob
So, we have something new, I was just sharing it with the guys.

Annie
Oh cool. Great. Being productive.

Jacob
Yup.

Jacob hands Annie a crumpled handwritten paper.

Annie
Oh, and what’s this?

Jacob
Some lyrics.

Annie
You wrote the lyrics?

Jacob
Well, just an outline.

Annie
Okay, okay, interesting.

Jacob
Yeah, you know we always talked about that. Me trying to spread my writing wings.

Annie
Yes, I guess we did.

Jacob
Should we play it for you?

Anthony
Jake…

Jacob
What Tony?

Anthony
Nothing, nevermind

Ray
You sure we should do this?

Jacob
Yes, I am sure – okay – here goes. One, two and-

Music, music, music

Jacob
Then it repeats and then the chorus is something like, and-

Music, music, music

Annie
I like it.

Jacob
Great, so should we try it with some of the lyrics?

Annie
Sure okay, let me just get some water.

Annie takes a swig of water and then finally looks at the paper.

Annie
Grouped like stanza, stanza repeat, chorus? Something like that?

Jacob
Yeah, you’ll get it. And one, two-

music

Annie (singing)
He was an ordinary boy
With his ordinary life
When she came into his world
And cut him with her knife

She looked at him
He loved her fully
She seemed to love him
But she was just a heart bully
(spoken) heart bully? We can come up with something-

She was a bitch
It was uncanny
How she didn’t care
Her name was Annie-
(spoken) Wait what? What!

Music keeps playing. Annie crumples paper and throws it at Jacob.
Ray and Anthony break off, Jacob keeps playing.

Annie
Jacob, you’re a total asshole, you know that!

Jacob
What’s the problem Annie?

Annie
Is this some kind of joke?

Jacob
Not at all.

Annie
Do you think this is cute?

Ray (to Anthony)
Maybe we should get out of here?

Annie
Jacob, you are the “heart bully” here. How dare you write a song about me, calling me a bitch!

Jacob
It could be about any Annie.

Annie                                   
It’s not even a good song – if you pulled something like this and the song was good, it would be different but-

Anthony (to Ray)
Yeah, let’s go.

Jacob
Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot, only the princess can write lyrics.

Annie
Well if this stupid revenge song is the best you can do…

Anthony and Ray sneak out

Jacob
That’s right because Annie’s the star of my band. MY BAND! Remember Annie, I brought you into this thing.

Annie
I never wanted to do this. I was doing it for you. I can’t help it if I’m better at it than you.

Jacob
Low, that was really low. Let’s try that bitch chorus again.

Annie
You try the bitch chorus again! I did this band bullshit for you. All this for you.

Jacob
Until your ego got swept up in it and totally out of control.

Annie
I have some lyrics for you.
How about-
(Half singing, half yelling)
Jacob was my world until the day
When I caught him making out with a slutty cliché

Jacob
I was your world! Give me a break. So I guess fucking Ian that roadie was part of some other world? Not the you and me world.

Annie
I never fucked Ian.

Jacob
You fucked him with your eyes. You were giving him the sexy eye.

Annie
You’re crazy Jacob.

Jacob
No, you’re crazy Annie.

Annie
We can’t keep doing this.

Jacob
I’m not doing anything.

Annie
We have to break up.

Jacob
We did break up. Like two months ago Annie. Remember, you dumped me…

Annie
We have to break up the band Jacob. We have to BREAK UP the BAND.

Jacob
We can’t do that. What’ll I do on Saturdays?

Annie
We can’t go on like this. It’s not fair to Ray and Anthony.

Jacob
But what will they do?

Annie
They’ll find a way to deal. They’ll find new bands. Happy bands.

Jacob
I could start a new band with them.

Annie
You can’t have them.

Jacob
I came in with them.

Annie
Maybe we could split them. You get Anthony and I get Ray.

Jacob
I want Ray, you get Anthony.

Annie
It’s no use, I want them both.

Jacob
Me too.

Annie
And I want you, I want all of us together again like we used to be. Like a musical family.

Jacob
Me too.

Annie
Remember when we first started making music? When we were young and hopeful?


Jacob
It was only last year.

Annie
I feel older.

Jacob
You look younger and more beautiful than ever.

Annie
Oh Jacob.

Jacob
Annie, don’t look at me like that.

Annie
Aw, like what?

Jacob
Like that. Making the sexy eyes at me.

Annie
Come on Jakey, let’s make music together.

Jacob
Annie, stop, don’t call me Jakey. I can’t take it.

Annie
Jakey pie.

Jacob
Annie.

Annie
Jacob.

They start making out over Jacob’s guitar. Annie drops her microphone.
Anthony and Ray peek in.

Ray
Are they done?

Anthony
Oh brother, look at them. Let’s go get some coffee.
  
Ray
Not again with this shit.

Anthony
At least it’s better than when they fight.

Ray
Is it?

Ray and Anthony duck away again. Jacob and Annie stop kissing.

Annie
I love you Jakey.

Jacob
I’ve always loved you Annie.

Annie
Let’s never fight again.

Jacob
Never.

Annie
Never, again.

They make out. Lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment