Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hanky Panky by Joanne Hudson

Here is Joanne Hudson's short play Hanky Panky based on Othello by William Shakespeare. I've held on posting this play until Joanne's birthday as a reminder that she was born to be a writer. :)

Happy Birthday Joanne!

You can see some of Joanne's plays we posted last year here and here. When you look at several of Joanne's short plays in a row I find it inspiring how theatrical and big they are thematically, how full of adventure and complete - in a tiny package. Hope you will agree.  

I love this take on Othello, this has allowed me to view a play I don't really engage in, in a totally different light. It somehow makes it more real for me, even though it is far from realism. Enjoy!




'HANKY PANKY'
by
Joanne Hudson
(Based on Othello, by William Shakespeare)

Copyright 2006
Joanne Hudson

CHARACTERS:
STRAWBERRIES - 3, they speak in chorus
LACE - She's vain and frilly
SILK - She is smooth of mind and soul
SYBIL - A witch/prophet
DESDEMONA - pretty, but not so bright
EMILIA - Desdemona's confidant and attendant. She is lusty.
BIANCA - The girl next door


(Silky boudoir pillows downstage and a
chair upstage, on an otherwise bare
stage. STRAWBERRIES (3), dressed in a
succulent red fabric; SILK, dressed in
fine white silk, and LACE, dressed in
frilly lace lingerie are present, along
with a SYBIL (a witch/prophet). SYBIL
embroiders the STRAWBERRIES as they
speak in chorus.)

STRAWBERRIES
An angel’s kiss in spring, stains our pink meat red. Thusly
we are sewn upon a kerchief for a bridal bed.

SILK
Of white silk.

LACE
And lovely lace.

SILK
Our Moorish mistress sews a bond for a beau.

SYBIL
Ink dyed red with blood of virgins dead
Make my spell upon Othello’s head
A child born of Moorish blood
Times a child born too well loved
Will over a generation’s time
Come to wed

STRAWBERRIES
Stitch upon stitch
Row upon row

SILK
Good maiden’s fates

LACE
Are sewn just so

SYBIL
But through a fiend made ill by jealous dread
Which gnaws his inwards like a baneful mineral would
Will even with him, wife for wife, and position for position
Hallowed worms did breed this silken perdition
How much less man, that is a worm?

STRAWBERRIES
Stitch upon stitch
Row upon row

SILK
Good maiden’s fates

LACE
Are sewn just so

SYBIL
Since no even will be made
Twixt Ottoman soul and Christian creed
Then let All come to see
Through the fate of these unfortunate three
A sickness borne in a loathing self
Is a sickness deep
and without relief

STRAWBERRIES
Stitch upon stitch
Row upon row

ALL
Mortal fate is sewn just so!

SYBIL
Oh Willow, Willow, Willow.

(LIGHTS CHANGE, DESDEMONA enters and
sits on the pillows. STRAWBERRIES, SILK
and LACE gather around her. SYBIL goes
to an upstage chair and embroiders.)

LACE
Her skin is sprung with youth!

SILK
She’s refined!

STRAWBERRIES
She’s ripe!

SILK
She’s pale as the moonlight upon the fallen snow.

STRAWBERRIES
Her breath smells of perfume!

LACE
Her eyelashes two geisha’s fans!

SILK
Yet, her eyes have seen no sorrow.

STRAWBERRIES
She’s fresh!

LACE
Untried.

SILK
Unspent.

DESDEMONA
Such a complimentary hanky Othello did give to me!

(DESDEMONA kisses the hanky and they
ALL giggle. LACE sits down next to
DESDEMONA on the bed.)

LACE
So tell us Des, what do you think of the Moor?

DESDEMONA
My Lord is a noble man. He has fought and won many a battle.
He’s lived in strange caves and survived on his wits. He has
won his honor by proving himself against many who would have
him in chains. Even my father thinks him well, so long as
they speak as men together in a chamber meant for men.

STRAWBERRIES
So you’ve spied upon him and you’re pop?

DESDEMONA
All the time! Ooh I was shaking with shame when he discovered
me! I felt like such a stupid child. But he made me feel....

STRAWBERRIES
Yes? What? What?

DESDEMONA
He made me feel like a woman!

STRAWBERRIES
Oooooooh!

LACE
When did that happen? Did I miss something?

SILK
No, she means he made her feel like a woman, he didn’t make
her a woman, as if a woman could be made of a man.

LACE
Eve.

SILK
Lilith!

DESDEMONA
Who’s Lilith.

LACE
Lilith is Silk’s hero. You know she was Adam’s first wife,
but she wouldn’t behave herself, so they parted.

SILK
She refused to be subjugated so she left!

STRAWBERRIES
Now we hear she flies through the night stealing babies from
their cradles and eating them!

SILK
She’s a succubus, true, but she won’t be told what to do!

DESDEMONA
Othello doesn’t tell me what to do. He asks for my opinion of
things. He told me of his adventures and true, they turned my
head, but it was so much more than that! Politics, religion,
the meaning of life! Everything, he discusses with me. But
now he wants me to run off with him and marry. To deceive my
father.

STRAWBERRIES
Wheee!

LACE
Oh my!

SILK
Hmmmm. Are you sure this is wise?

DESDEMONA
No, but I know what I feel, I’m in LOVE! and I know my father
will never see us together. Daddy doesn’t like black boys.

STRAWBERRIES
Do it Des! Do it!

LACE
It’s soooo romantic!

STRAWBERRIES
Your father is a mean old creep!

LACE
Don’t let your daddy make you a prisoner!

STRAWBERRIES
He locks you up like a porcelain doll in a glass case!

DESDEMONA
He does do that. What does he know about me? He never asks my
opinion. Othello knows me. He understands a woman’s passions.
He’s an outsider in this world, just like a woman is. No man
like my father could ever understand us.

SILK
Othello is a good man yes, but I’ve seen a side to him you
know not. His mother was controlling and critical. He does
not wear women well.

DESDEMONA
Oh how silly.

SILK
He is noble at war, tis true, but he doesn’t have the manners
or the experience to live in wedlock with a porcelain doll he
may well break.

DESDEMONA
Your warnings only make me more certain of his valor. He has
had to be better than any courtier just to be seen as half as
good. I couldn’t do better even I married a woman! He is the
one I will wed, and I will go to him tonight! Come, help me
tie these bedsheets together to lower me from my father’s
prison and Othello and I will use them to make a bridal bed!

STRAWBERRIES
Wheee!

LACE
How romantic!

SILK
It’s a mistake.

SYBIL
(embroidering)
Fine and fine and finer still.

(LIGHTS CHANGE and RISE on EMILIA and
DESDEMONA. The HANKY (STRAWBERRIES,
LACE AND SILK) stand upstage next to
SYBIL.)

EMILIA
I really have to apologize for my Lord’s bad behavior on the
crossing.

DESDEMONA
Don’t think of it Emilia. You are not your husband’s keeper.
I don’t care for how he speaks to you though!
What was that, “players in your houswifery and housewives in
your beds” remark? What was that all about?!

EMILIA
Oh, don’t take him too seriously. Iago’s just an old coot!
Still, I’ve never seen him so obsessed with argument than
with you, Desdemona. If I loved him better I’d be jealous.

DESDEMONA
Don’t you love him better?

EMILIA
We’ve been married a long time. You’ll understand one day.

DESDEMONA
I hope not!

(They laugh and sit down among the
pillows.)

EMILIA
So this Cassio is pretty cute!

DESDEMONA
Yes, but he’s just like all the men I grew up around.
Courtiers are so dull. Good looking rich boys with nothing of
interest to say.

EMILIA
Who needs talking betwixt the sheets?!

DESDEMONA
Oh! Emilia!

EMILIA
I’d have him on a silver platter with watermellon for a
chaser!

DESDEMONA
You’re horrible!

EMILIA
Tell me how’s the Moor?

DESDEMONA
You shouldn’t ask such things, Emilia!

EMILIA
It’s just us girls! I hear once you go with a Moor, you never
come back to shore!

DESDEMONA
I wouldn’t know any other. And I don’t much care for your
phrasing.

EMILIA
I’m sorry, my Lady. I only meant, is he very passionate?

DESDEMONA
Oh yes, but since we’ve come to Cypress he is strange.

EMILIA
Strange how?

DESDEMONA
I’m afraid it’s politics and affairs of state that have got
his blood in heat these days.

EMILIA
Neglecting you so soon?

DESDEMONA
It’s as if he is consumed! Hrmmph!

EMILIA
He has much responsibility.

DESDEMONA
True. He spends a lot of time in Iago’s company since we’ve  been here and...

EMILIA
What?

DESDEMONA
Does your husband mean me harm?

EMILIA
Of course not! What makes you say such a hateful thing?

DESDEMONA
He doesn’t like me.

EMILIA
He loves you as well as anyone. Marry he is an ill-tempered
sort.

DESDEMONA
I get the feeling he means me disaster.

EMILIA
How now lady? It’s just his age and irritable nature. He’s
worked so long and hard to come to position and Cassio has
usurped him in your husband’s eyes.

DESDEMONA
Is that how he feels?

EMILIA
I can only guess. He no longer confides in me, but give it
some thought.

DESDEMONA
Cassio says Iago got him drunk that night he picked a fight
with Roderigo.

EMILIA
I remind you it was Cassio who picked the fight. Iago
couldn’t make anyone do anything they did not wish first to
do!

DESDEMONA
So true. I’m sorry Emilia. I don’t mean to malign your
husband.

EMILIA
Do you still plan to make Cassio’s case to Othello and win
him back his position?

DESDEMONA
Why yes, why not? He is deserving and everyone should have a
second chance.

EMILIA
Even Iago, in your heart?

DESDEMONA
Yes, if it makes you happy, Emilia. I will forgive Iago and
try to make him my friend. But he has Othello’s love and that
should serve him better than mine.

(DESDEMONA takes out the hanky -
STRAWBERRIES, LACE AND SILK rush to her
side. EMILIA stares at the hanky.)

EMILIA
That’s a lovely thing.

DESDEMONA
Othello gave it to me. His mother gave it him, whose husband
gave it to her. It was woven in Egypt by a prophetess and a
witch!

(THE GIRLS take on mysterious airs.
SYBIL stands and takes an interest.)

EMILIA
How exciting! May I see it?

DESDEMONA
Sure. Actually, it needs laundering Emilia, can you see to it
for me?

EMILIA
I’ll see it’s done.

(LIGHTS CHANGE and DESDEMONA exits.
EMILIA and the HANKY (STRAWBERRIES,
LACE and SILK walk off together. SYBIL
comes downstage.)

SYBIL
To weave a web’s an intricate thing. Each person’s soul has a
loop to catch. With Emilia it’s her covetous eyes. Not for
silk hankies, but for such things for which silk hankies are
given. Try beauty and youth!

(BLACK OUT. LIGHTS RISE and SYBIL is
gone. BIANCA is on the pillows with the
Hanky in her hand. STRAWBERRIES, SILK
and LACE sit on the floor around her.)

BIANCA
Beastly thing. You’ve the stench of another woman.

(THE GALS smell themselves.)

BIANCA (CONT’D)
What are you here for? Why did Cassio give you me? To copy
you out? It was a kiss off’s what it was!

SILK
That’s true Bianca, Cassio doesn’t love you, but it’s not
important, we’re here for a reason and we’ve worked much
magic to fall into your necromantic hands.

BIANCA
My what hands?

SILK
Magic hands, magic, get it?

BIANCA
Me, magic?

SILK
I flatter you not.

BIANCA
Well, now that you mention it, I have been told--

(SHE holds her hands in admiration.)

SILK
Enough of your-- Enough. Listen, time is short. Our mistress
Desdemona is in trouble.

BIANCA
See, I knew it. You belong to her. I’ve been re-gifted!

SILK
Please get over it. There is work to be done. You’ve a very
important role to play.

BIANCA
Me?

SILK
You.

BIANCA
Cool. What do I have to do?

LACE
Here’s the deal, Bianca. We’ve become very fond of Des. She
is an ill starred wretch, but--

STRAWBERRIES
--Nevertheless, we’ve decided she shouldn’t have to die.

SILK
--Although she be ill-starred by conjur of our mage, the
Sybil, who convinced Emilia to betray her mistress and give
us to Iago.

STRAWBERRIES
He’s the one dropped us in Cassio’s chamber.

LACE
That was a good night. I can see why you like him, Bianca!
He’s proper for a man!

SILK
We convinced the young man’s mind to bring us about to you,
Bianca.

STRAWBERRIES
We’re going against the Sybil’s edict. It’s so exciting!

LACE
So romantic!

SILK
Well, not really. It’s noble.

STRAWBERRIES
And brave.

LACE
And, therefore, romantic.

SILK
Granted. So we need you Bianca to step out of your harlot’s
role and become legendary.

BIANCA
Legendary, me?

SILK
Yes, the play will be renamed Bianca!

BIANCA
Wow! What do I have to do?

SILK
That Iago is a liar of the rarest sort. He has whirled
Othello into a frenzy of jealous rage and made him murderous
upon his own virtuous bride.

BIANCA
Tis funny how soldiers, so brave in war are so weak in valor
when it comes to their own heart’s sake.

SILK
Tis true, Othello’s dark Minotaur has left him bereft of all
reason! He believe’s his one true friend to be his foe and
has ascribed his one true foe as his most trusted friend!

BIANCA
That’s so Chaucerian!

SILK
So you are with us?

BIANCA
You betcha. What’s the plan?

(THE GALS conspire. The LIGHTS CHANGE
as ALL but the SYBIL exit.)

SYBIL
This dainty hanky of my creation
Dare defy my consternation?
I’ll let them have their little fun
But in the end my will be done

(BLACKOUT, LIGHTS rise on the GALS and
BIANCA holding Desdemona’s body and
crying.)

BIANCA
I tried, I tried!

LACE
We all did.

STRAWBERRIES
It was a bad plan to try to expose Iago. He’s got black magic
on his side!

LACE
The man smells vile! I couldn’t stand being in his pocket!

SILK
Restrain thy tongue! Don’t you see we’ve botched it and the
girl is dead?!

LACE
Othello’s jealousy was more than Iago bread.

SILK
I told you, he has low sef-esteem. His mother did a number on
him, ruining him for any woman.

STRAWBERRIES
Perchance Othello’s geometry run naturally towards Iago’s
mean.

LACE
No--

SILK
--Shut up, I said, let me think.

STRAWBERRIES
Why? It’s over.

SILK
The King’s men are always revising these foul papers, perhaps
all is not lost.

STRAWBERRIES
At least we’ve got him to consider the women a little more.
He gave Des a regal countenance and a mind as faire...

BIANCA
Which, let’s face it, she did not possess.

SILK
Still, why did she not defend her life?! She gives in so
easily! I suppose we must be circumstanced.

STRAWBERRIES
But without us, Iago would have been punished not!

SILK
We did get the Bard to at once put Iago’s tongue out of use. 
“From this time forth I never will speak word.” That line was
mine.

STRAWBERRIES
Wheee!

LACE
I could see his problem. It’s hard to get one so articulate
to stop his talk.

BIANCA
Perhaps our female will has pushed the Bard’s plume in a
womanly direction.

SILK
There’s always next time.

(THE SYBIL steps forward.)

SYBIL
A child borne of Moorish blood
Times a child born too well loved
Be a brew concocted for a storm
Human souls are so well worn
Our perfect girl was doomed to die
No hanky’s panky could stop this
Fie!
Human hearts are charged by Blood!
Tis why this story must be told.

(CURTAIN)


No comments:

Post a Comment